An Excellent Choice at Max of Eastman Place


When my parents took me to restaurants when I was young, my Mom always advised me to order something I wouldn’t ordinarily get at home. I follow that approach to this day. I often opt for seafood, because some of my family has hang-ups about seafood and I rarely cook it.

I was especially happy with my choice when I ordered the evening’s fish special at Max of Eastman Place during a recent night out. Sea bass was served with seasonal vegetables and fregula, all in a light sauce that had a hint of curry. The fish had a gorgeous golden brown sear; its crispy exterior gave way to the firm but flaky interior. The tender, colorful veggies and a subtly flavored sauce complemented the fish beautifully. Fregula, little balls of pasta cooked to al dente, added a nice chewy texture to the dish. It was something I never could have prepared, and I was thankful that Mom’s dining philosophy had stuck with me all these years.

I’ve noticed that many people seem to stick with familiar dishes when they dine at restaurants. What is your preference? Tried and true or something new?

Note: this post also appears in my blog for FlavorsofRochester.com.