Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Banana Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Frosting


I had to make a dessert for a church pot luck dinner, and as usual I had a few verging-on-overripe bananas on the counter. What to make with those bananas? I was banana cupcaked out, and banana bread wasn't desserty enough, so I searched the Web for some ideas. The recipes that caught my eye: Banana Whoopie Pies.

Mmmm ... they sounded so good. But Banana Whoopie Pies for a church function? Wouldn't that sound a little risque?

I had never made whoopie pies before, or even tasted them, but they sounded so good that I decided to risk it.

Ohhh ... they turned out sooo good. Two cakey cookies that tasted like banana bread, sandwiched together with a generous dollop of fluffy, sweet, tangy cream cheese frosting. At the church dinner, I heard no complaints. Just a few "mmm's" and "oohs." I'll be making whoopie pies again for sure.

Banana Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cookies adapted from Taste of Home; filling from Martha Stewart

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (1 large or 1 1/2 medium bananas)
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Filling (from a Martha Stewart recipe -- you'll have some left over):
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine banana and buttermilk. In a third bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture.

Drop by tablespoonfuls two inches apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. (At this size, you will make about 50 cookies.) Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

For filling, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Use a pastry bag with a large star top to pipe a generous dollop of filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies and press together gently. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving; store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 25 cookie sandwiches.

9 comments:

Angela FRS said...

Oh, man. I want those.

Karen Harris said...

These look so good! I keep telling my son I'm going to make him some chocolate Whoppie Pies but maybe he'll go for these. Thanks for the recipe Tracy.

recipe contest said...

I agree with Angela! These are making my mouth water! I think it could work really well to have a fruit flavor in the filling. Strawberry perhaps... Strawberry Banana Whoopie Pies... that sounds delicious!

Tracy said...

Angela, you'd love them. Karen, they are just as good as chocolate -- and I love chocolate! Recipe contest, strawberry would be great -- I love the combo of strawberry & banana.

Jannett said...

wonderful looking cookie...Great Job... ;o)

Emily said...

Mmm these look good! They look perfect. I don't think I could make them look so pretty and perfect.

I like that you used butter in the filling and not shortening.

b.long said...

These look delicious! I will have to try to make them ASAP!

Darcie said...

These turned out sooooo good. I have made other whoopie pie recipes that didn't turn out as expected, but these came out perfect in taste and appearance!

Tracy said...

Glad you liked them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...