Yummy Sandwiches from Leftover Ham


Whenever I cook a ham, I'm left with odds and ends that don't add up to much, but I don't want to waste. That's when I make these yummy open-faced sandwiches. I eyeball the ingredient measurements and use what I have on hand -- odds and ends of cheese, various mustards, sometimes something onion-y, sometimes not. Just be sure to use a sturdy, flavorful bread. I especially like this with Dakota bread from Great Harvest Bread Company (which we Rochesterians knew originally as Montana Mills).

I got the recipe from my mother-in-law, who lives in the Buffalo area. I thought the name -- Open-Faced Chicago Sandwiches -- was funny, because I'm originally from the Chicago area and never had anything like them there. But since that's the way it came to me, I'll use it here.

Open-Faced Chicago Ham Sandwiches


1 cup Cheddar cheese, divided (I've also used half Swiss and half Cheddar)
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper (I often use more)
chopped scallions, to taste (optional)
1 cup chopped ham
2 teaspoons prepared mustard (I like Dijon but ballpark yellow works too)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
mayonnaise
5-6 slices rye bread (also great on Montana Mills Dakota Bread)

Mix together 1/2 cup cheese, green pepper, scallions (if using) and ham. Add mustard, Worcestershire, and just enough mayo to lightly coat the mixture. Spread on rye (or Dakota) bread and top with remaining cheese. Place under the broiler (or in the toaster oven on "broil") until the cheese melts, about 4-5 minutes. Makes 6 or so open-faced sandwiches.