Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!


Our Halloween tradition has been to go to a friend's for a Halloween party complete with a pumpkin carving contest. The family decided to call it quits this year, and we thought the holiday wouldn't be the same.

Instead, we each carved a pumpkin (I did have to help my younger son when he decided on the most complicated design of the bunch -- our school district's athletic logo). It was fun and it may be a new tradition for us!

I'm spending the day experimenting with pumpkin seeds. First batch "tasted like burnt toast," according to my son, but I have high hopes that I'll have a good recipe/technique to share by the end of the day.

Hope it's a good one.

2 comments:

thehungryartist said...

Beautiful pumpkins!! Ours went bad before Halloween -- we bought it too early! :( SO I had to carve another one and it wasn't as good .... Oh well...

This year, I froze the pumpkin seeds to roast for later. I think because they were so dry, they were the best roasted ones I've ever made! I roasted them at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, checking and stirring now and then. I just sprayed them with non-stick spray and sprinkled kosher salt and they were pretty tasty.

ANother batch I did with the fresh seeds (the second pumpkin) wasn't as good -- they had a burnt taste. I'm convinced it is because they weren't as dry. I just rinsed them and tossed them on the tray to roast...

Tara said...

Hi - I was looking for Niblack Foods.. and ended up here.. a nice accident. Everything looks delish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...