Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dinosaur BBQ Tomato Cucumber Salad

This has been a banner year for tomatoes, and I'm enjoying them as much as I can before the frost sets in. Since my 2008 post on the macaroni & cheese from popular local restaurant the Dinosaur Bar B Que has been one of my most well read, I thought I'd try making the restaurant's Tomato Cucumber Salad. As expected, it was great grub -- and thankfully not nearly as decadent as the mac & cheese.

Tomato Cucumber Salad
From The Dinosaur BBQ Cookbook

Salad
1 ½ lb tomatoes
Pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
Pinch of sugar
2 medium cucumbers
1/2 large red onion
30 small fresh basil leaves

Dressing
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Core the tomatoes and cut lengthwise into 6-8 wedges. Cut each wedge in half crosswise. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and wake them up with a big pinch of salt, pepper and sugar. Cut the ends off the cucumbers and use a vegetable peeler to make long stripes in the skin. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Add to the tomatoes. Peel the onion and cut lengthwise into slivers. Dump the onions in with the tomatoes and cucumbers and give everything a good toss.

Clean and dry the basil leaves. Stack them on top of one another and roll lengthwise into a tight cigar. Cut crosswise into thin strips and stir into salad.

Throw together a batch of dressing. Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over tomatoes and cucumbers. Marinate the salad at room temperature for several hours. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Recipe says this feeds six -- I suppose that's if you don't have a lot of sides.

10 comments:

The Inexperienced Foodie said...

there is nothing like a cold crunchy salad on a warm day im in arizona so it is still hot here 106 today!

Karen Harris said...

Sounds heavenly! I love love love summer.

Emily said...

Hiii! I've missed your blog.

This salad looks great. I remember that mac and cheese. I have to make that for Eric soon.

Lori said...

This is a regular at our house in the summer but I never thought to put a little sugar in it. I bet that just makes it so much more flavorful.

Cookie Madness said...

I'm definitely copying this recipe! I wish I could keep my basil plants alive, though. Also, please update your blog!!

Just kidding.

No, really. I'm not kidding.

Cat said...

I stumbled upon your blog while searching for an appropriate photo to use in my Superfoods recipe book. I have a very similar recipe to your cucumber salad, and while I don't have the equipment or great photography skills, I have to borrow or buy most of the photos I have used so far.
In the interest of saving time and money, I was wondering if you would allow me to use your photo of the cucumber salad with your photo credits.
The book will be sold online through my site and a couple of other sites.
Thank you so much!
PS I couldnt get your email address to work.

Cat said...

Your blog looks GREAT!!

Tracy said...

Cat, you didn't leave any contact info so I'm not sure how to get back to you. My email address does work if you know usual email formatting. The word "at" is replaced by @ with no spaces, and the word "dot" is replaced with the period key. Again, no spaces.

jsb said...

Just a heads up, the cucumber salad you get at the actual restaurant (in both Rochester and Syracuse) doesn't have any onions in it.

Tracy said...

I believe you! This is the way it appeared in their cookbook.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...