Sunday, January 04, 2009

Watch Ultimate Recipe Showdown!

I just caught this season's first Ultimate Recipe Showdown on the Food Network. It is VASTLY better than the show was last year. Whereas last year there was inane banter between two hosts, this year has Guy Fieri is the only host, and he's perfect for the role. Not only does he have a fun personality, he also probably helped the contestants feel at ease. Last year's show featured 12 cooks, where this year's features only four. That makes you "get to know" the contestants, which makes the show more interesting and dramatic.

The episode running this week is Comfort Foods, and I "know" two of the four contestants. By "know," I mean I've conversed with them online, so I haven't actually met them. One is Michaela Rosenthal, who's a force to be reckoned with in the world of cooking contests. The other is Emily -- oh gosh, I forgot her last name -- but she's known for her blog, Sugar Plum.

I'm not going to tell you who won, but I thought both ladies made food that looked delectable.

Maybe this show will motivate me to develop some more contest-worthy recipes. I hope so!

Congrats to Michaela and Emily. I'll be interested to see who else pops up in future episodes!

8 comments:

Catherine Wilkinson said...

So agree! I was in last year's show, and this is SO much better! Way more focus on the contestants and dishes. Michaela and Emily were awesome! The guy who won seems very nice, and his mac and cheese was pretty spectac! Can't wait to see Camilla and Jenny in Cakes! You wonder, don't you????

doggybloggy said...

e mail me and tell me who won I meant to watch last night and forgot...I know emily too....

Lisa said...

Wasn't that a fun show? Much better than last year's format. It is fun knowing the contestsants also.

Sue said...

Emily was awesome!!!

Emily said...

Thank you! The show was a lot of fun. I was kinda ready for it all to be over with though.
Michaela was very nice, along with all of the rest of the contestants.

Glad you liked the show!

Dora said...

It was a very fine show - so glad the FN has shows with real home cooks. I really didn't get the scoring system tho, did you? Fun viewing party on the FN Dish at http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/.

Tracy said...

Catherine, cool that you were on last year! There was nothing wrong with last year's contestants, by the way -- the way they packed in so many recipes and contestants last year, it was like an assembly line!

Doggybloggy, done.

Lisa & Sue, I agree!

Emily, I was very proud of you.

Dora, I meant to mention that about the scoring system. The best scoring dish of the day is what won. That seems funny -- if there were two rounds, it would seem to be cumulative. That's the way they do it with their "pro" competitions. I didn't pay much attention to the scores -- I wonder what the outcome would have been if it was cumulative.

Karyn said...

Oh, Charlie! Soooo cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...