Friday, January 16, 2009

"No Snow Day" Chocolate Chip Cookies


My kids SO wanted a snow day yesterday. They did kooky superstitious things, like putting ice cubes in the toilets, wearing their jammies inside out, and putting wooden spoons under their pillows. (I grew up in the Chicago area, which is plenty snowy, but I don't remember any of these superstitions. Am I the only one?) Anyway, there wasn't a snow day. It must be tough being superintendent and having to make the call that dashes the hopes of all those kids.

I thought I'd make an after-school snack that would take their minds off of their disappointment -- great big chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa. I remembered that my friend Anna, from Cookie Madness, went through a streak of making lots of different big chocolate chip cookies in the hopes of duplicating the cookies from Levain, in New York City, so I turned to her blog for a recipe. Since I've never been to Levain, I didn't care if the recipe was a copycat. I just wanted yummy cookies that didn't require me to leave the house to get an ingredient (the kids may have had to venture out in that cold, but I'm no dummy). I settled on this recipe and were they ever delicious. Once the kids had these, and we agreed that we'd rather have the day off in the summer than in the winter, the disappointment of not having a snow day was a distant memory.

Big Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted (with minor changes) from this recipe on Cookie Madness

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold – cut into little chunks (if they are too big, they may fly out of the mixer)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I used a combo of semisweet and Hershey's Special Dark)
Nuts, if you like -- we don't use

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.

Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to batter and stir just until blended. Stir in chips.

Divide dough into big 4 oz lumps. Bake on ungreased cookies sheets for 18-22 minutes or until cookies appear set -- they will not get very brown but they shouldn't look wet or raw in the middle. Makes about a dozen.

9 comments:

Allie said...

We don't know anything about snow here in the south and when it does have a light dusting the city shuts down! Your cookies sound yummy I'll take 2 and a big glass of milk.

Barbara Bakes said...

My kids are always hoping for a snow day too! Nothing like a hot cookie on a cold day!

Patsyk said...

I love Anna's blog! Looks like you cured the kiddo's from being disappointed... summer is way better to have time off from school.

HoneyB said...

This is similar to the recipe I made today. Hope these cheered them up some anyway!

Sue said...

That is so cute...all those things your kids did to hope for a snow day. Those cookies sound great.

LovestoCook said...

Hi. I just found CookieMadness a couple of weeks ago and have emailed with Anna several times. :-) I realized I missed her chocolate chip cookie blitz but I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I have a file of CC cookie recipes dating back to 1987 (no, that's not a typo) that I've been meaning to try. A Cook's Illustrated from Feb 1996 proclaims "Melted Butter Makes the Difference" for chewy cookies. What did you find?

Tracy said...

Patsy & Loves to Cook,
First off, Anna rocks. :-)

Loves to Cook,
I think I could beat you at the age of some of the recipes in my recipe file.
As for the butter question, I've made the Cooks Illustrated ccc recipe with melted butter and they are wonderful. I've made this recipe with the cold butter -- also wonderful. The recipes I like least are those calling for room temperature butter -- they tend to spread too much and the dough is soft and difficult to work with. So now I stick to ccc recipes with either melted butter or cold butter. Haven't tested this theory on other cookie recipes, though.
Good luck!

LovestoCook said...

Thanks for the report on the Cooks Illustrated cookies. And, the file date was just from cc cookies I've meant to try. I just turned 60 :-(, so the whole file goes back much farther than that. This week I plan to try Pig Candy and take it to Salsa Class. My young friends love my kitchen experiments.

Tracy said...

OK, if you're 60 you probably have me beat on the old recipes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...