Friday, January 16, 2009

New Year's Resolution

resolution

For a week or so, I've been keeping this bowl of fruit out and telling my boys that it was the "never have to ask" bowl. If you are hungry, you can eat from it at any time, without asking.

My 14-year-old loves this, and surprised me by grabbing an orange the other day. I've never been able to get my sons to eat whole oranges. They haven't liked the "stringy" texture. Now my son has decided he LOVES oranges, and is eating at least one a day. Hooray!

So Moms, keep at it. Make the good stuff available. Encourage them to taste, but don't nag. Do not make them finish it if they don't like it. It may take 14 years or longer, but they just may come around!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I have that same bowl at my house 24/7, but I'm the only one that doesn't eat from it. I guess I need to put a sign up for me.

Fran said...

So many times I see people with fruit bowls on tv shows etc. It always makes me want to start keeping a fruit bowl of my own.

Patsyk said...

Great idea! I'm going to have to borrow that one... I'm sure my boys will love having access to food without asking!

Elisabeth said...

That's a really good idea, Tracy! I'm saving that one for when I have kids. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...