Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A favorite brie appetizer


I made this appetizer for New Year's Eve because it's one of my favorites. I just realized I blogged about it a couple of years ago, but oh well, I like it! Since I've made it many times, I've got a bunch of tips:
- If your dried cranberries seem a little dry or shriveled, put them in a bowl and pour some boiling water on top. Let them sit for three minutes or so and drain. They'll soften right up.
- If you want to make this ahead, put the onion mixture in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. Bake the Brie for 8 minutes, put on the topping, then bake for another 3 minutes or so. I once put the brie and topping in the oven at the same time. The cranberries became hard, black little turds -- which is why I've started soaking them as insurance.
- You can heat it in the microwave. First heat the brie for a couple of minutes, then the topping for about 30 seconds, then put the topping on top of the brie.

Brie with Caramelized Onions, Pistachio and Cranberry


2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Vegetable oil or cooking spray
1 round (15 ounces) brie
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts
Crackers and/or sliced Italian bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in butter for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cranberries, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened, brown, and caramelized.

Scrape the top rind off of the brie. Lightly brush oven-proof plate with oil (or spray with cooking spray) and place cheese in the center. Bake uncovered 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is soft and partly melted. Spoon onion topping over cheese. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with crackers.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

OOOh, this looks good! Might use it as a Superbowl appetizer.

Allie said...

You can't go wrong with brie anything on it is good to me!

Catherine Wilkinson said...

This is favorite of mine too! But since I'm such a lush, I like to soak those cranberries in warm brandy or rum! Works nicely! Brie is the best thing in the world after chocolate!

Mary said...

Great recipes are worth repeating. Thanks for the brain jog - I sometimes forget so your repetition is appreciated.

Laura said...

I make something similar using cranberry chutney. Deelish!!

Sue said...

I was going to say exactly what Mary did. It looks yummy and that's a good idea for superbowl Sunday.

Sara said...

This sounds great, brie is always a crowd pleaser.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...