Saturday, December 13, 2008

Who's in the hot seat now?

Funny timing ... just as I write that Tom Collichio is irritating me, my cousin sends me an article that says he's named in a lawsuit that accuses his restaurants of wage and tip violations. This cousin happens to practice law in New York City, and tells me that the firm is highly thought of (kinda like Crain, Poole and Schmidt, I suppose.)

I can't say I'm surprised at the accusations, only because I think the restaurant business is one in which workers don't tend to be treated well.

The thing that cracks me up is that he is fighting back like a Top Chef contestant in the bottom three at judges table. In this article, Collichio says that in 20 years of operation, his retaurants have never been accused of wrongdoing and blah, blah, blah other stuff. Well, hello -- most of the people who work in restaurants don't have the means to hire attorneys.

I have no idea or opinion about the lawsuit, truly. Just interesting...

4 comments:

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Oh, yikes. And I kinda love Tom. In that special masochistic way.

I've finally got my husband to sit still and watch TC with me...and he's the last person to do something like that! He's ready to punch the TV...he's having an issue with Jamie. And he thinks Padma "isn't as hot as she thinks she is"...listening to him is more hilarious than watching the show!

Tracy said...

Catherine,
Your husband sounds like a fun TC watching buddy! My husband watches TC with me sometimes, but his expression throughout is kind of like the expression I have while I'm getting blood drawn. You know, like you really aren't enjoying it but you're trying not to show it...

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Well, we'll see how this pans out but I read that she only worked there for a very short time period (3 months). It seems odd that of all the wait staff that he employs, only this one woman would step up to sue. Also, I read that she was mad she wasn't reimbursed for getting her uniform cleaned? I always washed my own uniform when I was a waitress.

Tracy said...

Well, I held one of my jobs for 3 months, and I could tell after 2 weeks that I had landed myself in a hellish situation. The rest of the time in that job was spent figuring out my next job. It would make sense that if it was a terrible place to work, you wouldn't stick around very long. So I wouldn't consider longevity in the job as undermining her credibility. In fact, if she were there much longer, I'd wonder why the heck she stuck around for so long. Of course, that gives her less damages to sue for, but the lawsuit may be for the principal of the thing.

Her expectation to clean the uniform doesn't sound reasonable on the face of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...