Thursday, November 06, 2008

Reese's Pieces Oatmeal Bars

I had every intention of making Halloween Bark for my coworkers at Wickham Farms, but I never got it done (sorry, farmers). As a result, I had a whole bunch of ingredients sitting around. I can use a lot of them in a similar bark at Christmas time, but Reese's Pieces don't fit in the Christmas color scheme.

I found this recipe online for using up the Reese's Pieces and boy, was it good. I loved the chewy oat bars contrasted by the crispy/creamy texture of the Reese's Pieces. My husband didn't particularly care for the extra crunch from the outsides of the Reese's Pieces. My sons and I were ok with that -- more for us!

Reese’s Pieces Oatmeal Bars

2/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups Reese's pieces, divided

Cream shortening and both sugars in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to the sugars mixture and beat until combined. Add milk and beat well. Stir in oats and 1 cup of the Reese's Pieces. Spread into a greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Reese's pieces. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan. Cut into bars.


Barbara said...

These look really good to me. I would have a hard time though if I messed with my hubby's oatmeal cookies or bars.
I just love the place you work. It has always been my dream to own a place like that...fresh produce is my thing.

chou said...

Every time I get a handfull of Reeses Pieces I start seeing lights and thinking about little aliens . . . perfect for Halloween. :)

Haley said...

These look sooo good! Soft and chewy with just a little bit of crunch.... perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...