Saturday, August 02, 2008

Zucchini & Corn Cakes

On Friday afternoons at Wegmans Food Markets, you can practically consume a meal as you taste the samples they offer from one side of the store to another.

My favorite samples are usually in the produce department, because they sample Wegmans-created recipes that incorporate fresh fruits or veggies. Here's a recent one I sampled at Wegmans, then made at home. It uses two veggies that are in season right now -- sweet corn and zucchini. After making them, I would prefer more corn and less zucchini, and a smaller pancake, both of which I indicated in the recipe below. I also used less oil than the original recipe called for. You can serve them as a side dish, or go even smaller and serve them as appetizers.

Zucchini & Corn Cakes
Adapted from www.Wegmans.com

2 medium zucchini, cored, seeded & shredded
5 large ears of corn, shucked, kernels removed
2 green onions, trimmed, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
1 cup Hime Tempura Batter Mix (or 1 1/2 cups Bisquick, but I recommend the Tempura mix)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used less), divided

Sour cream or parmesan cheese, for garnish

Stir together zucchini, corn, onions, oregano, tempura batter, salt, pepper, eggs, and water in large bowl until well-mixed.

Brush vegetable oil in large skillet or griddle (I used a nonstick electric griddle) on medium until oil faintly smokes.

Drop batter onto griddle, 1/4 cup at a time, and spread to form 2 to 3-inch pancakes with back of spoon. Cook on first side until golden-brown. Turn over; cook until golden brown. Transfer to serving plate; keep warm.

If necessary, add 1 Tbsp oil before each new batch of pancakes. Repeat step 3 until all batter is used.

Serve with sour cream or grated parmesan cheese, if desired.

The plan had been to contribute this to the weekly ARF/5-A-Day roundup at Sweetnicks -- but I missed the last post of that blog event by a week. Many thanks to Cate of Sweetnicks by hosting it for a long while!

5 comments:

Prudy said...

Man how I miss Wegmans.

Lori said...

Yeah, its the greatest.

I did your music meme. WHat fun. I love music.

Nice to see you cooking again. I had an appendicitis when I was eight. I will never forget the pain. I can imagine that the whole experience is much more difficult as an adult.

Tracy said...

Prudy, I can sympathize ...

Lori, liked the music meme! As for the appendicitis, it was probably easier on me than it was on you. It only took me a couple of hours to recognize that the pains were weird -- I think because I recognized it early I wasn't as sick or in as much pain as most people with the appendicitis. And what they can do with laparoscopic surgery these days is amazing -- the appendectomy was a thousand times easier than my C-section was!

Sue said...

Hi Tracy,
I'm soooooo sorry I'm sooooo late in commenting on your medical emergency. Thank goodness you didn't wait around too long before going to the emergency room...It sounds like you're back to cooking. I haven't seen any posts on what was cooked FOR you during your recuperation.

Take it easy for as long as you can get away with it!

Marie C said...

M-m-m-m good. I made these for dinner today... I didn't READ the directions carefully enough and poured all the oil in the pan at once. Those pancakes didn't firm up really well, but then the next few batches were perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...