Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Yummy lunch from leftover rice

The other night I made a double batch of good jasmine rice, then had fewer people for dinner than I expected. The next day, I put the leftover rice to good use by making a yummy veggie fried rice. I turned to Steamy Kitchen, one of my favorite food blogs, for inspiration. I loosely based my lunch on this recipe, using veggies and ingredients I had on hand, and it turned out great -- much better than the fried rice an ex- boyfriend of Asian descent used to make for me ... but we won't go there. Anyway, here's how I made mine. I served it with a few slices of leftover grilled chicken and a few slices of pineapple.

Vegetable Fried Rice
Serves one mom and one growing 13-year-old boy as a main dish for lunch

1 Tablespoon oil
1 cup or more minced vegetables (I used a few sliced baby carrots, about 1/2 of a red bell pepper, a handful of sliced sugar snap peas, and the florets from a stalk of broccoli)
1 tsp + 1 ½ tbs soy sauce
Pinch of sugar
1 tsp finely minced garlic (I used the stuff from a jar)
4 cups cooked day old rice
Pinch of ground ginger (fresh ginger is better but I didn't have any in the fridge)
1 tsp sesame oil
salt & pepper to taste

1. Heat 1 Tablespoon cooking oil on high. When oil is hot but not smoking, add vegetables - one kind at a time - in order of what takes longest to cook (I did carrots, then the red pepper, then the sugar snap peas and broccoli). Season with 1 teaspoon of the soy and a pinch of sugar to bring out the flavors of the vegetables. Fry until the vegetables are 80% cooked through. Add garlic and cook very briefly until fragrant (This is contrary to the directions on Steamy Kitchen. I learned this trick at a Wegman’s stir-fry class; if you add the garlic at the end, it is less likely to burn.)

2. Add rice. Add remaining soy sauce, sesame oil, ground ginger, salt & pepper. Fry on high heat until the each rice grain is heated through. Taste. Add a touch more soy if needed.

I am contributing this to the Bookmarked Recipes blog event at Ruth's Kitchen Experiments. Check on Mondays for more recipes!


Lore said...

The thing is leftover dishes are sometimes even better the original dish. This looks so yummy!

Patsyk said...

I love when you can make something delicious from leftovers!

Steamy Kitchen is one of my favorite blogs to visit, she is hilarious!

ServesYouRight said...

"Ex-boyfriend of Asian descent" - you never cease to surprise me. sigh. I am such a gossip-hound :-P


Jenny said...

Mmmm, nothing like fried rice, it really looks delicious!

Veronica said...

You need to come to my house my husband would love that rice!!

Prudy said...

I love your serving size description. Great use of leftovers!

Joe said...

You looked fantastic tonight on the Bake-Off Tracy!

Tracy said...

I watched the Bake-off in the emergency room and didn't spot myself. Thanks for mentioning it! I watched it again and saw myself at the beginning.

Smita, I'll never tell..

Patsy, I love Steamy Kitchen too.

Lore & Jenny & Veronica, thanks!

Prudy/Erin, that serving size was as accurate as I could get!

Ruth Elkin said...

What a great way to use up some leftovers!!!! I love fried rice but not put any veg in it, i'll have to give this a go myself sometime!

Thanks for sending it into bookmarked recipes!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...