Friday, July 18, 2008

A good summer read

During my recuperation from appendix surgery, I haven't been cooking or even eating much (what little appetite I have craves comfort food like roast chicken, mashed potatoes, Frosted Flakes and Pop Tarts).

During the times I'm not dozing, I've been doing some reading. A couple of books have been mind candy -- not worth mentioning -- but I did want to mention The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn. It is the author's account of a year at the Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris, interwoven with the tale of a blooming romance. She uses the lessons learned in cooking school as metaphors for lessons about life in general. Although I never had an interest in attending the Cordon Bleu -- and have even less now that I've read the book -- the writer tells a good story and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a great summer read.

5 comments:

Karin said...

I think you would enjoy "In the Kitchen With Julia," too. I received it as a gift and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would!

Prudy said...

Sounds like a fun read. The ONLY good thing about recovery is the mountain of books that you can finally sink your teeth into. I'm glad you're recovering nicely. What an ordeal! Nothing like a health crisis to bring life to a screeching halt.

Tracy said...

Karin, I read "My Life in France" by Julia Child last year and I did enjoy it. The Flinn book was interesting because it was The Cordon Bleu many years later. She did refer to Julia Child a number of times throughout the book. Next I want to read the biography of her editor, Judith Jones.

Prudy/Erin, yeah I've gone through a bunch of books & magazines. But if I had known it was coming I would have improved the quality of the reading material at my disposal. I may send my husband to the library, although I do feel much better each day.

Emiline said...

Okay, so I've GOT to read this.

Dolores said...

I just finished this, and I absolutely adored Ms. Flinn's story (although I agree, no Cordon Bleu in MY future). I *am* actually going to try the bolognese recipe she published soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...