Tuesday, April 08, 2008

If I won a million dollars...

There's a cool article in today's Democrat and Chronicle about a local chef, Gerry Brinkman, who built a wood-fired brick oven in his back yard. When he fires up the oven, it's time for an outdoor baking party at his house. When the oven is at its highest temperature, they start by baking pizza, and as it cools down it's on to breads, then cookies, then slow-cooked dishes, and so on. It sounds cool and fun. Add some beer and some jamming musicians and you've got the perfect party. Here's a link to the article.

As I read the article, I found myself thinking, "if I won the million dollars, I'd do that." I have that fleeting thought every so often these days. I don't expect to win the million, because an appetizer has never won the Pillsbury Bake-off contest, but it's still fun to think about it. So I guess I need to find a way to make friends with that chef. Think I could just call him and beg?

Anyway, I'm going nutso trying to get ready to head out of town for the Pillsbury contest, so this will probably be the last post before I take off (early Sunday morning). I plan to take my laptop and post from Dallas, so check back on Sunday (the day we fly to Dallas), Monday (the day of the contest), and Tuesday (the day the winners are announced). Butterflies...

11 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

Good luck! Have a great time!

Erika W. said...

Good luck Tracy!

RecipeGirl said...

I wish you LUCK and have fun. I look forward to your updates!

Catherine Wilkinson said...

BEST OF LUCK to you, Tracy! You'll do great! And who said an appetizer can't win??? They might be thinking it's time! Have a wonderful time, go introduce yourself to Roxanne Chan and tell her I said HI...she's soooo nice and she's legendary! Can't wait to read about your experience and what you'll do with your 1 million bucks!!!!

Emiline said...

Oh my goodness! Good luck Tracy! I think you have a great shot. Have confidence because you can do it!

I will miss your Top Chef review.

Jenny said...

Wow Tracy, I can't believe it's already time for you guys to go, Best of luck and have fun!!! Can't wait to hear about the results Tuesday!! Go Appetizers!

Marie C said...

Go to Dallas and have a ball! You've got lots of fans in Rochester pulling for you! Good Luck!

Camilla V. Saulsbury said...

Tracy, I've been reading and lurking--time to post! I love your blog, espeically your humor :)

Oh my goodness, I have drooled over such ovens, too. Shoot, now I'm thinking about pizza...

I wish you the best at the big one--your recipe sounds wonderful!

Joe said...

I can't wait to hear how it goes Tracy - we are wishing you all the best! Good luck!

Tracy said...

Thanks, all, for the well wishes! Please send positive thoughts for my travels -- I'm flying American...

Catherine, I'll be sure to say "hi" to Roxanne -- I met her at National Beef and agree, she's nice and legendary.

Emiline, I didn't think about the Top Chef post! Maybe I'll sneak that one in...

Camilla, if I win and I get the oven, I'll be sure to put you on the invitation list! :-)

Jeffrey said...

I work for him in the Summer, if you still are interested in getting in contact.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...