Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Dyngus Day!

My husband grew up in Buffalo, which is about an hour west of here.

Every Easter, when my in-laws leave our house to return to Buffalo, they wish us a Happy Dyngus Day. I've asked my husband about Dyngus Day, and he gives me vague explanations of people hitting each other with pussy willows.

I figured I'd do a bit of research on the day as an excuse for a very short post. Here's the scoop.

The annual celebration is held in Buffalo the Monday after Easter. On Dyngus Day, men and boys flirtatiously swat women and girls with pussy willows and squirt them with squirt guns. And there's lots of partying.

So guys, celebrate Dyngus Day by finding a pussy willow and swatting some girls with it. And do report back and let me know how that goes for you.

For more information on Dyngus Day, here's a link.

5 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Wow...Dyngus Day, huh? That's very unique...like turkey bowling, which I'm still trying to figure out. This post gave me my laugh of the day - thanks :)

Emiline said...

Heh, heh.

Jen said...

Interesting... I've heard from a friend that they do this in the Czech Republic around Eastertime...

Jennifer said...

I live in Roch myself and am from Buffalo! I love Dyngus Day! I just found this post in searching for some celebrations in Roch. Know of any?

Tracy said...

Jennifer,
No, unfortunately I do not know of any Rochester celebrations of Dyngus day. Guess you have to drive to Buffalo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...