Sunday, January 06, 2008

A late night of fun & food

CRB's gig at the Jukebox on Saturday night was great fun. We debuted two new songs that feature lead vocals by "the ladies" (as the guys call us) -- "Me and Bobby Magee" and "Sweet Home Chicago." They were a blast to do.

Five bands played, so of course, I had to stick around and support my fellow musicians until the very end, which was 2 a.m.

I don't like to sing on a full stomach, so by 2 a.m. I was famished, and so were some of the other band members. Four of us decided to go out for a bite to eat, but we had one heck of a time finding a place that was open after 2 a.m. Finally, we arrived at Fairport Hots, a tiny, dive-y spot that was packed with 20-somethings in various degrees of drunkenness. I'm sure they wondered what a bunch of sober old fogeys were doing there.

Since two of the guys ordered "plates," I couldn't resist. A Rochester specialty, "plates" are versions of "The Garbage Plate," created and trademarked by Nick Tahou's. The execution varies a little bit from place to place, but they generally consist of home fries or french fries, baked beans or macaroni salad, and a quantity (usually two) of bunless hot dogs or hamburgers, all slathered with a ground beef-based hot sauce and condiments. It comes with bread and butter.

I ordered the Junior Varsity cheeseburger plate (one cheeseburger) with home fries, macaroni salad, hot sauce, and ketchup. I order a "plate" about once or twice a year, and it's a fairly tasty combination that brings back memories of my younger days. I was enjoying it ... until three-quarters of the way through the burger, I noticed that the burger was bright pink inside. Ugh. Marie, who ordered a cheeseburger, noticed the same thing at about the same time. If I had noticed it earlier, I might have asked them to throw it back on the grill, but for me it signaled the time to be done eating and I tossed the rest in the trash.

Now, I don't have anything against dive-y spots, as long as they have relatively decent food. I know they were dealing with a rush, but I still have a hard time with undercooked burgers. Now I'm in search of good late-night eateries, so that I'm ready for the next time we have a gig that ends late. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

(Note: this restaurant was remodeled and the menu expanded in 2010. A revised review is on my to-do list.)

Fairport Hots on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Emiline said...

Congrats on the "laaadies" taking the stage. I love the Bobby Magee song. They play the Chicago song where I work at, so I'm sick of that one.

Too bad about your bad burger. I know it's not safe to eat undercooked ground meat, but I have seen food shows where they fix burgers rare. I guess that's for people that like to live life on the wild side. (AKA Food Poisoning)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...