Sunday, November 12, 2006

Fresh cranberry salsa

I made a Mexican themed dinner for friends last night. The most successful experiment was Fresh Cranberry Salsa. I found the recipe in “Cooking with Too Hot Tamales,” which I checked out from the library. And, of course, I didn’t do it exactly as written.

The recipe was meant to be a component of Turkey Tamales with Fresh Cranberry Salsa. Tamales are a lot of work– plus one of the ingredients was Turkey Braised in Black Mole, which was another recipe with a long list of ingredients. I didn’t have that kind of energy, so I just made the salsa and served it with chips.

It was crunchy, sweet, a little tart and a little spicy. I’m sure it would be a nice complement to turkey. I would vastly prefer this to the super sweet canned glop that is on the Thanksgiving menu every year. I’m not hosting Thanksgiving, but I might offer to bring it along.

Here’s the recipe, as well as my notes. I cut the recipe in half.

Fresh Cranberry Salsa


1 pound fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (I used ½ pound of frozen and didn’t thaw them before starting the recipe. Note that a bag is 12 ounces, so I used more than half of the bag.)
1 cup sugar (used a scant ½ cup)
2 teaspoons grated orange zest (used 1)
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced (Used one. I might leave the peel on for color.)
3 oranges, peeled, seeded and diced (used 2 Valencia oranges)
4 serrano chiles, stemmed and diced with seeds (I couldn’t find serrano chiles. I used 1 jalapeno without seeds. I’d use 2 or more next time.)
1 bunch cilantro, leaves and stems, chopped (I’m not a fan of cilantro. I used a little bit.)
1 bunch scallions, chopped (I used some scallions and some red onions)

Finely chop the cranberries in a food processor or by hand (I used a food processor). Combine in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix together. Set aside at room temperature 1 hour and then chill until ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator as long as 3 days.

(I thought the end product was going to be too chunky to serve with chips. I threw it all into the food processor and pulsed a few times to get it a bit finer. You wouldn’t have to do this if you served it with turkey.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy-
LOVED the salsa! I made it for my MOMS club apple pie night and it was a hit. I used 1/2 a red onion (no scallions), 1/2 bunch cilentro & 2 jalapanos. Plus I didn't read completly and did 2 TBS orange zest vs 2 tsp (basically I just zested both oranges)...came out great! YUM!
Karen M

Tracy said...

Glad you liked it, Karen! It definitely is a recipe you can play around with. I'm thinking of taking it to Thanksgiving dinner and telling them they can serve it with chips or as a snack.

Anonymous said...

Too much playing around for my tastes. What you ended up with isn't the original product at all, which is superb!

This salsa has been on our Thanksgiving table for years, and has branched out to probably 10 other tables because everyone ALWAYS wants this recipe.

I saw Susan Feninger on a plane last year, and got to thank her in person for this -- My advice is try the recipe straight first, and decide if you like it as is, before you start messing around. And if you want something for chip dipping, for heaven's sake, start by chopping some tomatoes. More ill-conceived dishes result from good-recipe tampering than anything else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...